Wednesday, October 17, 2012

French citizenship law n°1: Thou shalt be pacient

This morning, at the prefecture of Yvelines, around 10:45am, in front of a counter with a big sign above reading: "NATURALIZATIONS".

Me: "Bonjour, madame, I would like some information about the French naturalization process"
Public servant: "I'm sorry, we are not in charge with it, please go to the reception desk for further information"
Me: "But there's this sign 'Naturalizations' up here..."
Public servant: "I'm sorry, please go to the reception desk, they will tell you what needs to be done. My colleague and I are not in charge of naturalizations, we are in charge of foreigners."
Me: "But I *am* a foreigner!"
Public servant: "I'm sorry, please go to the reception desk, they will tell you where to find out more information"
Me: "Merci beaucoup, madame !"

At the reception desk, about 30 people in front of me waiting in 2 lines (+ one fast line for parents with children, French citizens and other emergencies), all for the one and only open counter. The two security guards at the fast line are making sure everything flows the right way and are more than happy to answering anyone's questions. 30 minutes later, it's my turn:



Me: "Bonjour, madame, I would like some information about the naturalization process"
Public servant: "I'm sorry, madame, I don't know about it, it's not my specialty!" To a colleague: "When is the day for naturalizations, on Tuesday"? To me: "You will have to come back on Tuesday, madame, and then you'll get all the information you need"
Me (today is a Wednesday): "But I've read on your website that Tuesdays are for papers deposit only, I just want some information"
Public servant: "I'm sorry, come back the next Tuesday, madame, you'll get all the information you need"
Me: "Merci beaucoup, do you know where can I buy the official tax stamp?"
Public servant: "I'm sorry, madame, on Tuesday you'll get all the information you need"
Me: "Merci beaucoup, madame !"

Less than one minute per person. Now, that's what I call efficiency!!!

On my way out, in front of an imposing reproduction of the "Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen" I notice a small number dispenser, one of its buttons carrying the coveted "Naturalizations" word. At that moment I suddenly understood: the transition process has begun, get ready to enter the club, ma belle! I secretly pray that this thing actually works when I'll go back there on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment